Monday, October 18, 2010

week7

So this week had some incredibly surreal stories. The Aliens surprised me in terms of how interesting the story got after the beginning. Sure it was dated and a lot of their ploys didn't seem to make sense given the technology they had, but it was still able to draw my attention with the looming motiff of accepting the unknown. That being said the art fit the narrative well: bizarre and eerie. What I noticed most was the overwhelming experimentation of color in the comic. Especially when the humans on the alien ship went through that hypatomic field thingy. I find it pretty commendable that this comic was written and drawn by Russ Manning. I'd suggest that people look up this guy and check to see just how successful of a comic artist he was.

The green lantern story also had an eye for peculiar adventure. I really haven't read a silver age green lantern comic before. I've known about him with my understanding of the justice league, but I think this comic really opened my eyes as to how weird his solo adventures were.

Blind man's bluff had a very abrasive art style, which turned me away from it at first. But as I got further into the story, I believe it really helped to convey the mood of tension and suspense throughout the story. It was a psychological thriller, and brought up an intriguing topic. The fact that the artist's newfound perceptions wasn't explained thoroughly enough upsets me initially. I can't decide if that's good writing or not. either way it was a freaky, intriguing, and, unbelievable story.

The disney comics were once again a pleasure to read. However the story featuring fethry was downright terrifying. Ducks hunting ducks? I mean come on even if they are domesticated? The character himself freaked me out enough. I definitely thought the story including goofy and the crow character was the most complex story out of the whole bunch.

Modesty Blaise is a comic that I highly suggest to be on the required textbooks next year. I can find no loose end to this comic that doesn't immediately fascinate me. I left a really longwinded review of why I found it so remarkable on the blackboard discussion, so I hope no one's too upset that I don't repeat myself or use copy paste. The best way I can put it is that I found it to be a landmark for comics. It proved that the medium can engross a wide enough amount of audiences as film can.

No comments:

Post a Comment