Monday, November 1, 2010

Week9

The Dark Phoenix Saga was pretty good. The last half was exceptionally well written. I found the narration to be even more lengthy than in the first half, but it pulled off it's narrative amazingly well for the all the time and size constraints of a monthly series. The art I believe also got exceptionally better given the complex and alien subject matter. Given the premise that this series was written around the same time as watergate I could read into this story for numerous metaphors. Like relating this to a kind and gentle superpower (such as America) being corrupted by esteemed business men seeking power for the sake of power.

Will Eisner revolutionized american comics. Not even in terms of artistry, which is obviously breathtakingly spectacular, but in the terms of how the art form was presented. A Contract With God was published as a graphic novel, although not a new concept, it really did lay in the foundation of how comics can be seen as esteemed and high art, and also in terms of high literature. A contract with god is the perfect blend of prose and art in my opinion, Eisner made it his profession to try to replicate the human condition and he displays it with a masterfully acquired grace.

I Saw it! was a real treat to read. I had never read any of barefoot gin, so I wasn't aware that this was based off a comic artist's life, but good lord this man went through a lot. And to still acquire this much skill as a cartoonist? It's really commendable. The inking style and screen tones applied to this story really separate it from the rest of the readings, I also liked it because we're finally able to get into some real manga, that is to say comics published in Japan. It was interesting to read because the narration rarely seemed to hold a constant sad reminiscence. it was always read as what the artist was going to do next in his life after something horrible happened to him. He wasn't just wallowing in sorrow from calamity, after calamity after, calamity. The only point he really seemed to get caught up about was when his mother died. In literary terms, the climax is really well presented despite the constant turmoil Keiji was facing.


1 comment:

  1. Dark Phoenix: I enjoyed reading the Dark Phoenix. I was also able to relate parts of it in my research paper. I have seen the X-Men movies and played games with the X-men in it but this was the first time I had ever read any of their comics. I thought the comics were very captivating. There was always something happening and, for me, it was never boring. I liked how powerful Jean was in the Dark Phoenix. It portrayed a woman being powerful... and I liked that. Over all, I thought it was a great comic and I am glad I bought it.

    A contract with God: I know it said to read a chapter but by the time I put the book down I was already a third of the way through. I was a really fast read and I am hoping to come back to it sometime soon to finish it. I liked that the illustrations took up the whole page. I could really follow the mood of the story well. It was a captivating graphic novel built on black and white illustrations.... no color needed.

    Best War Comics: this one was really weird. I wasn't sure what "charlie" was meant to be. They all seemed like a bunch of psycho war veterans who went mad but then they started picking up chicks and corrupting them too. The comic had a creepy look, portraying the people as zombie like and caveman-ish. It was ok to read but not really my kind of comic.

    ReplyDelete