Monday, November 22, 2010

Week 12

Christian Archer

MAD: Superduperman
I really got a kick out of this book. While it was mostly playful and stupid humor, it was an easy read that kept a fast pace. I enjoyed the kind-of slapstick style of comedy that the writing and story uses, especially when superduperman gets captain marbles to punch himself in the face to end the fight. I also enjoyed the toony exaggerated artwork which helped keep each page interesting.

Bone vol 1
This was a rather fun read. 25 pages went by super fast. I couldn't help but notice that Jeff Smith really likes to draw beads of sweat. I counted 10 frames of it on the firs two pages. I think the overly simple characters give you more time to think about the actual story rather than focusing on the artwork in each frame. This was sort of like a breath of fresh air, good artwork is great, but It's not always necessary. I didn't really think much of the actual story line, but the cute characters and the silly humor made it enjoyable regardless.

Starman
I found this book to be slightly harder to get into. I thought the framing was kind-of weird in that I'd get lost while reading and have to try to decide which way it was going. I felt like there was too much writing at times and I ended up getting bored. The artwork on the other had is a completely different story. Very dynamic drawings with interesting characters. I enjoyed "A knight at the circus II" the most as there is one full page spread of him fighting off the circus creatures. There are a lot of single frame pages that allow you to slow down and enjoy the artwork. I enjoyed how the character changes throughout the stories as well. The first few books were extremely slow to get through, but I found at 5 and 6 it picks up a bit.

Sandman:

No comments:

Post a Comment